If you love a good old fashioned detective story with more of hitting the pavement than google, if magical mysteries and slow, bumbling misunderstood feelings play well with you romantic inclinations, if class divides, rich vs poor and not too many backfills also turn your pages, then this book will be an absolute delight to read!
I loved Ayana Gray since I had the pleasure of I, Medusa - this book is a completely different genre - think back and white detective spiels with magicians and a convoluted plot. I think a star was lost as I felt the gaps could have been filled better, but for the offered storyline, it certainly merits a breezy read, which I completed in 2 days.
Vesper and Max are unique characters driven by prejudice and fearful to trust, the way they build their bonds, uncover each others secrets and work around the societal mores and the challenges thrown their way by the enigmatic mastermind are great to follow. I loved the twists in the storyline, when they take 2 steps in deduction, they are set back and reset and restart, which i quite enjoyed!
My thank yous to Macmillian Children's Publishing Group and Netgalley for this opportunity to read!
#Septemberreads #Hawk&Sparrow #Retrodetectives #Murdermystery
No comments:
Post a Comment