After An academic Affair, I was underwhelmed, wondering how the magic of that sizzling literary duo and the university machinations could EVER compare to Fiona and Satoshi - I mean, we're talking a sommelier and a single mom of three!! I was not thrilled to start this book...
BUT
Once I started, the magical binding to relish, read and revere Jodi's work of art was renewed!! With wine knowledge and the suggestive notes which translated to the academic equivalent of the PhD duo. The banter was delish, the tension fraught and thick, and the chemistry was ridiculous!!! From the sheer depression that Fiona embodies and the helplessness in the lieu of her separation, to the beautiful softness and amazingly unique blend that Satoshi embodies - this book flew by - joy, sorrow, lust, love and the tenderness of family were blended in perfect proportion, leaving me unsatisfied in the least!
If Chess was my go to in the previous book, this book went to Lex and their fascinating insight and matter of fact staidness. I will also add a special mention to Isamu, who grudgingly grew to accept and admire - similar to Satoshi's evolving feelings. The staging of the chapters with the stunning exchanges of text, really refreshed the reading experience. Emotionally, the book was like a rasberry tart - with the delicate softness of understanding someone, tangy from the ability to rise from ignominy and acknowledge your own unique flavor, sturdy - the ability to support unconditionally and refreshing - not shying away from the reality of mom constantly questioning her choices!
My thank yous are served with both hands, elegantly, to Netgalley and Atria and my invitation to enjoy a drink (crafted by moi) extends to the wonderfully talented Jodi McAlister!
The book is best enjoyed with a long island iced tea - a blend of beautiful ingredients with a sparkle towards the finish, savored and not imbibed!
#Septemberreads #Astudyinsparkling #secondchancelove #sommeliervibes
No comments:
Post a Comment